Trash & Recycling
Household Trash Collection
Household trash is collected twice weekly. Please contain your trash in lidded containers. These containers should be placed out by 7 a.m. The town offers backdoor trash collection, so you can leave your containers anywhere on your property as long as they are accessible to the collection crews.
- If you live east of Maple Avenue or on the east side of Maple Avenue, your household trash is collected on Monday and Thursday.
- If you live west of Maple Avenue or on the west side of Maple, your household trash is collected on Tuesday and Friday.
- If you live on East-West Highway, Connecticut Avenue, or Bradley Lane, your household trash is collected on Tuesday and Friday.
Recycling and trash collection are not provided on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Special Trash Pickup
Special trash pick ups are provided for a fee, determined by the trash contractor. These pickups are used to dispose of those items not included in household trash. To arrange for a special pick up, call Goode Companies, the Town's household trash contractor, at 240-448-3921. You will schedule the pick up and pay the contractor directly.
Recycling is collected weekly on Wednesday. The Town offers backdoor, single-stream recycling, allowing residents to place all recyclable materials into their 64 gallon cart, which can be left anywhere on your property as long as it is accessible to the collection crews. Recyclable items should be in Town recycling carts, by 7 a.m to be collected. The Town may only issue one (1) 64 gallon cart per residence. If your cart has been damaged or needs to be replaced, please contact the Town Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-654-7144. The cart will be dropped off at the curb in front of your house.
Residents May Now Recycle Glass at the Lawton Center
Because Town residents may no longer put glass in their single-stream recycling carts, a central collection point for glass has been set up at the Lawton Center. Residents can drop off glass into several green recycling bins, marked “Glass Bottles and Jars Only,” in the loading area behind the Lawton Center. The loading area is accessible from 44th Street near the intersection of Elm Street. Residents are reminded that only clean glass bottles and jars may be placed in these carts. The following items are not acceptable: jar lids, sheet glass, glass windows, mirrors, Pyrex, light bulbs, crystal, glass dishes, and ceramics. We hope that residents will take advantage of this opportunity to recycle glass and remind you to still use your green recycling cart to dispose of all recyclable materials except glass.
Yard Trash Recycling
- The town offers curbside collection of yard trash on Mondays.
- Trimmings should be placed at the the curb by 7 a.m.
- Leaves, grass, and other trimmings should be placed in reusable containers or paper bags.
- Brush should be tied into bundles with string.
- Bundles should not exceed 30 inches in diameter, 4 feet in length, and 4 inches in diameter per piece.
- Christmas Tree Disposal - Remove all ornaments and tinsel from the trees, and place them at curbside.
Household Organic Waste Collection
Household organic waste is collected curbside every Tuesday. This is a voluntary service. Upon opting to receive service, participants receive one (1) 5-gallon bin and liner. On collection day, the contractor will empty the bin, wipe it down, replace the liner and return it to the curb. This program allows for one bin per household; however, you may arrange to have additional bins collected for an additional fee by contacting Compost Crew at (301) 202-4450 or by visiting their website at compostcrew.com/chevychase.
Residents wishing to opt-in to this service may do so by contacting the Town Office by the last Tuesday of any month. Bins will be delivered to new participants on the first Tuesday of the following month, with regular pickup beginning the following week.
Trash & Treasure Weekends
Twice a year the town provides a special service allowing residents to discard at curbside unwanted items from garages, basements, attics, and yards including:
- Appliances (doors must be removed for safety)
- Rolled rugs
- Yard tools
- Unacceptable Items
- The items are removed at no charge to the residents. The following items will not be picked up as part of Trash & Treasures
- Hazardous materials
- Loose or broken glass
- Newspapers or recyclable paper
The dates and guidelines for "Trash & Treasures" are published in the town's newsletter, the Forecast, in the month preceding the pickup.