Private Tree Programs
Consulting Arborist ProgramTrees on both private and public property are very important to our town. Because of a desire to help maintain and grow the tree canopy, the town provides a program offering each homeowner in town one hour of free time with a consulting arborist every two years.
The arborist will visit your property and return to you a report on the tree health and care specific for your property. The arborist will examine trees on your property for pest infestation and hazardous conditions, such as deadwood, rot, or co-dominant branches.
Fill out a Consulting Arborist Request
Print out a Consulting Arborist Request
Native Canopy Tree Planting Program
Under this program, the Town plants native canopy trees on private property. When a tree is requested the arborist evaluates whether there is an appropriate location on the property for a canopy tree. The town purchases the trees, pays for installation, and provides a water bag to assist residents with the care needed in the critical first year after planting. Residents are responsible for the long-term care of the tree(s).
Residents are encouraged to submit their tree requests early, as there is limited availability.
Fill out a Native Canopy Tree Planting Program Application Online
Print out a Native Canopy Tree Planting Program
Private Canopy Tree Maintenance Program
In June, 2013 the Town Council approved a program that will reimburse Town residents for some of the costs associated with the maintenance of canopy trees on private property. The Private Canopy Tree Maintenance Program, recommended by the Town’s Climate and Environment Committee in response to a request from the Town Council, will help defray the cost to residents for tree maintenance work, thereby providing an incentive to help preserve and protect the Town’s native tree canopy. To be eligible, the following stipulations apply:
- Program participants must be a resident or homeowner in the Town of Chevy Chase.
- The Program shall be in effect for the 2017 fiscal year (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017).
- Maintenance work completed on private canopy trees between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 is eligible for reimbursement. Maintenance work includes pruning and cabling of canopy trees. A canopy tree is defined as a tree with a trunk that measures at least twenty four (24) inches in circumference at four and one-half (4 ½) feet above ground.
- All maintenance work performed under this program must be recommended in a Consulting Arborist Report completed between July 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017.
- The Program will reimburse a resident or homeowner 75% of the costs associated with eligible tree maintenance activities, up to a maximum of $1,000 per residence.
- The maintenance must be performed by a Maryland licensed tree expert.
- The undersigned is responsible for submitting to the Town this completed application and a copy of the bill for services rendered and proof of payment no later than July 31, 2017. The bill for services must identify the species and trunk circumference at four and a half (4 ½) feet above ground for each tree on which maintenance work has been performed.
- The Town reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to approve or deny any request for reimbursement.
- The Town may require additional information or documentation as deemed necessary to adequately assess an application for reimbursement.
- The undersigned agrees that the site of tree maintenance shall be subject to inspection by Town officials at any time to verify completion of work.
Print out a Private Canopy Tree Maintenance Program Application